Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The "A" Word...

Today I stopped by an auto parts store on the way home from work to pick up some oil for my car. While walking out to my car, I caught a glimpse of myself in the store window and the image caused a thought to surface in my mind.

"When did I become an adult?"

There I was, the weary laborer, coming home late from work and stopping by the auto parts store to re-supply my stockpile of motor oil. At that moment I felt like a responsible, conscientious individual. What the heck happened? One minute I'm free as a bird, traveling the world, poor as a church mouse, and then WHAM! I'm working 8 to 5 for the man, and have a savings account.

What's next? A wife and kids?

All of this went through my mind as I was walking out to the car, and believe me, I was bumming.

Then I spotted my computer in the back seat---the computer I would be using at a LAN party---a LAN party I would be attending on a Tuesday night---a Tuesday night, which just happens to be a work night.

"What an extremely irresponsible thing to do" I thought to myself, as the traces of a wicked little grin began dancing at the edges of my mouth.

Suck on that adulthood.

3 Comments:

Blogger Porkchop said...

Living on the edge, are we? Before you know it, you'll be staying up past midnight! On a weeknight.

Adulthood cowers in much fear.

7:11 AM  
Blogger fearbaby said...

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? I'll have you know that I stayed up past midnight last night playing poker, which I enjoyed immensely.

Oh wait, actually we stopped at 11 because everyone was falling asleep...

Note to self:

Find younger friends.

8:24 AM  
Blogger QOS said...

the other day i was feeling really old, but then someone called me out on my ho-ho flavored chapstick.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home