Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Lifting Can Be A Blow To One's Pride...

Last night I decided to go to the gym and lift.

At present, I have found lifting to be an extremely good stress reliever. Some people smoke, I lift.

So there I was lifting away, felling the burn, when I look over to my right and I noticed this skinny old guy perusing the free-weight selection. Not thinking much of it, I politely started minding my own business by staring at myself in the huge mirror.

Have you ever watched someone lifting weights while staring at themselves in the mirror? It's almost like they think they can will their muscles to increase in size by staring at them intently.

So while I was willing my muscles to grow, the skinny old guy was sitting down next to me with his weight selection. Now visualize this---me, with my dumbbells in hand, straining and puffing, and him, with his huge dumbbells, pumping them like they were cans of tuna.

"Deflated" does not even come close to describe the feeling that overwhelmed me at that moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home