Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Inspiration, or the Lack Thereof…

What causes inspiration? It obviously varies from person to person, but there is usually some type of input from an exterior source that precedes the moment of inspiration. Maybe it was a sonnet, beautifully composed and performed, or perhaps a poignant photograph that captured an elusive flash of raw emotion. Regardless of the stimuli, the majority of great inspirational moments are triggered by an outside source.

Is this a safe assumption? Or does true inspiration and genius come from within?

I’ve been stewing over this topic for a few weeks, without coming to a satisfactory conclusion. I know that for me personally, great literarily works tend have the greatest inspirational effect. My vocabulary improves, my writing improves, and my ability to express myself verbally improves, all as a result of mentally digesting the works of a literary genius.

Following this same line of thinking, the simplest path to becoming an uninspired bore would be to cease my intake of literary works, thus allowing my creative flow to grind to a halt…

Gosh that was idiotic.

Note to self:

Go to library ASAP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home