Friday, April 14, 2006

Time to Ponder and Meditate...

I had an epiphany the other day.

I know, I know, they happen so infrequently that I'm beginning to think that I must be morphing into this unimaginative and unoriginal bore, who's imagination is so limited that it hurts when deciding on the flavor of ice cream to choose at the supermarket, the choice eventually ending in the same flavor it always ends in (mint chocolate chip of course). Not a bad choice mind you, just unimaginative.

But I digress (i.e. back to my epiphany).

My epiphany was thus:

Amidst the hustle and bustle of what is now my life, I have lost something I once valued very highly. I have lost both the time and mental energy to think, plan, mediate, and most important of all, hear God's voice. It's not necessarily the constant physical noise surrounding me that hinders my ability to hear, but what I will call "mental noise." Simply put, all the things in which I am involved, both at home and on the job, whirl around my head constantly, occupying my faculties, and I never seem to be able to slow down, take a breath, and listen.

When I was in Taiwan, I had an amazingly crazy schedule, working from 7 in the morning to 10 at night, but because of all the various travel times and the inability to communicate with those around me, I was able to spend large quantities of time in my head, thinking, praying, and listening. It's odd that in such a spiritually dark place I was able to hear God in ways that I never thought possible.
So here's the problem...how do I get back to that awesome place, while still being immersed in my crazy and sometimes stressful life?

In the short time I have spent on this earth, I have learned that the key to solving a problem is to first realize the problem exists (ground breaking, I know).

So here's to solving problems :)

7 Comments:

Blogger ch said...

Funny how the best way to get closer to God is to move to a country where you don't know the language.

It's amazing all the things I allow to grapple for my attention...

12:13 PM  
Blogger fearbaby said...

Funny, and a bit sad actually.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I can completely relate to this actually. Being 24 and fully immersed (sp?) in work and all kinds of extra activities. I find myself strugling to make even the simplest decisions. I have recently begun to join you on your problem solving mission.
As for the travelling and getting closer to Christ, I hope this is true. I am about to go to Mexico for two weeks and immediately to Albania for another two weeks. In the past these have been very solid times of reflection.
So back at you, here's to solving problems...

8:57 AM  
Blogger fearbaby said...

Maybe it's the utter lack of a comfort zone that makes mission trips and traveling to other countries such a time of growth and maturing. Whatever the case, they are tend to be pretty life changing.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Macy said...

i don't so much like mint chocolate chip. but you can.

"It's odd that in such a spiritually dark place I was able to hear God in ways that I never thought possible."

I totally relate with that...sometimes I feel that way when I run into a problem/crisis/life changing decision. I have this problem with mentally running through all of the possible people I could call and talk to, be with, cry with...but it seems that every time I am in a situation such as this...no one is around. So I say, "well....nothing else is available so I guess I'll take it to God." It takes the removal of all that is distracting for me to even begin to look his direction? There's something wrong with that. But, once I've run to Him, and spent that time with Him--I wonder why it isn't my first instinct.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Macy said...

this is Macy, btw. I haven't used blogger in quite some time. I see we started from opposite ends of the tracks, crossed paths, and are across from each other once more.
I like xanga better.

11:30 AM  
Blogger fearbaby said...

Well, I had to transition from my xanga blog (who's name is out of date) to a new blog. Deciding to make the break cleanly and completely, I ended up transferring to a entirely different forum for thought.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home