Monday, September 18, 2006

Of PB&J, and Other Comfort Foods…

I had a PB&J sandwich last nigh. A bit childish some would say, but amazingly good when one is famished and cannot find something simple to eat. It’s amazing how many memories came flooding into my mind as a result of such a simple meal---everything from kindergarten lunches, to wild and crazy family road trips where my mom would make the sandwiches in the car while we drove because my dad didn’t want to waste time by actually stopping to eat (ahh…good times).

So as I was happily munching away on my childish sandwich, indulging in childhood memories, I realized that there are many things about my childhood that I miss. For instance, what happened to the seemingly never ending flow of energy? Did I use it all up? If I would have known that we're only allotted a certain amount of energy for our lives, I certainly would have been a bit more stingy with it as a child. Having a super large amount of missed childhood activities and experiences, I have decided to make a list of the top ten things about my childhood that I miss.

1. Real, Unadulterated, Guilt Free (and Calorie Free) Fun
2. Summer (the real summer, with watermelon, pool parties, and frequent visits to the beach)
3. Schoolwork (where the complexities did not exceed simple division and verb conjugation)
4. Never Having to Exercise (because having fun was exercise enough)
5. Not Being Able to Sleep In on Saturdays (because you had so much to do, and so little time!)
6. Not Being Able to Sleep the Night Before Christmas
7. Simplicity in Relationships with the Opposite Sex (relationships that consisted of snarky comments about how girls are “dumb” and then the customary throwing of mud)
8. The Lack of Financial Issues
9. Lack of Stress (the only stress being whether or not you would get caught and punished for breaking whatever trivial rule your parents had put in place to keep you from becoming a complete savage)
10. Worry Free Sleep (the content slumber of a child who has been out “playing” all day is something that we as adults will never experience again)


A moment of silence for my deceased childhood...

Thank you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

andrew! this is fantastic - i'm very excited to have found your blog. i will take this opportunity to give you fair notice that i will now be blog-stalking you. i have a penchant for wit, high vocabulary and excellent writing skills. cheers!

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home